Rhodesian Flag

 

HOME
A-G
H-M
N-T
U-Z
MOTOR RACING
OLD PHOTOS
CLUB BADGES
LINKS

Classic Cars in Rhodesia



Make Scott motorcycle
History          
Year 1911
Believed to be ex Natal, South Africa. Owned by a Mr. Robertson of Gwelo before being acquired by Frank Riley. Swapped for a Ford Model T with Peter Bartlett around 1963. Believed to have gone to Australia before ending up in the UK around 2005 (registered BS 9547). Bike featured in an article in 'The Motor Cycle' 29 August 1963. Bike was fitted with a top bar, whilst most pre 1920s Scotts have no bar and the foot change had been converted to hand change. This bike was the oldest running Scott in the world at one stage.
Model
Chassis No. 27 125 in 1990 but now believed to be 238 185
Engine No. 979
Coachbuilder
Body Style
Colours Maroon
           
Registration Numbers RBB-1053/SRH, 10-708-N/RHO
References Lewis Onions
 
1911



Make Scott motorcycle                                    
History          
Year 1928
Original owner a Mr. Walsh or Welsh. Registered in Umtali, Rhodesia in 1936. In use in Umtali by a Mr. Hallam until 1939. The bike was then stripped, the intentionbeing to use the engine in a boat. Hallam kept most of the pieces and after WWII they went to Salisbury. In 1955 Mr. F. Rodgers began to re-assemble the bike, cutting up the old tank to make a more modern looking one. Acquired by Neil Smith in 1956, who completed the rebuild. After Neil passed away the bike may have gone to Fred van Coller, if so the bike probably no longer exists as all the alloy parts for three Scott motorcycles that Fred was rebuilding, were stolen and sold as scrap. Used in the first four Durban - Johannesburg Commemorative Motor Cycle Trials.

Model 500cc Super Squirrel
Chassis No. I 674 (1926 frame)
Engine No. Z811A
Coachbuilder
Body Style
Colours Black frame, red tank (tank originally purple)
           
Registration Numbers U-401-C
References
 
1928 Scott1928
                      Scott
1968



Make Scott motorcycle
History          
Year 1928
Last used in 1940, rebuilt by Neil Smith over several years, finished in 1972.
Model
Chassis No. M1610
Engine No. FZ998A
Coachbuilder
Body Style
Colours
           
Registration Numbers
References
 
 



Make Scott motorcycle
History          
Year 1928
Owned by Dick Thompson of Salisbury from around 1966. Regular competitor in events, completed several Umtali Reliability runs, the 1965 Rhodesian National Rally, 1970 Durban-Johannesburg Commemorative Motor Cycle Trial (ridden by HM Joseph), in which it was placed 5th overall. Winner of the 1972 Durban-Johannesburg run. Later taken to South Africa where the Scott is now owned by Dick's Son Ian.
Model De luxe flyer
Chassis No. 1843M?
Engine No. FZ1074A
Coachbuilder
Body Style
Colours Black with maroon tank
           
Registration Numbers S-4442-C/SRH, 50-822-F/RHO
References
 
1928 Scott

Copyright © Wayne M. Kennerley 2014

A number of photographs used on this website are from unknown sources, if you feel an image used may be one of your own please contact the webmaster below.

Webpage by WMK Designs - Contact Webmaster